Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I'm a Runner?!?!?

Hello Everybody!

I hope you are all enjoying this holy week! B and I are hosting our first holiday meal for family this Easter! It's a big deal for us! We get to use our China tableware that we got for our wedding that we STILL haven't used! Geesh! I bought a big ham and I'm also making cheesy potatoes (mmmmmm) and the rest of the family is bringing a side-easy peasy;) So I'm taking Friday off to make food, including my grandma's cinnamon rolls for a bake sale, and get ready for Easter!

A good recent eat:
Really delicious if you haven't tried it! It's like one of those instant strawberries 'n' cream oatmeal packets you had when you were a kid, but heartier and healthier!

Some big news in my world is I'm becoming a RUNNER! Ok, maybe I wouldn't go that far, but my friend Sarah, who has turned into a runner, has been bugging me to do a race with her. First off it was Warrior Dash, which is a pretty intimidating obstacle course race! It was going to be in Kansas City days after my Cozumel trip and I don't want to be training while trying to soak in some sun in Mexico! So that one was a "no!"

So next it was the KC Dirty Duo, which consists of a two-person team doing a six-mile running and biking course with fun obstacles on the way. That was early last week when she mentioned it to me. So I looked it up online and did some research-this is something I could do! It wasn't straight time running and the little obstacles along the way seemed fun! The last 40 yards you have to crawl through a mud pit with your partner! Who doesn't like mud? Oh, and did I mention there is beer, bands and food afterwards? Ya, that's my kind of race;)

So last week, I started the couch to 5K plan, but starting on week 4 since I'm not really on the "couch." So far, so good! I'm not saying I've found the runner's "high" everyone talks about, but it's "ok." My sister-in-law and Sarah asked me, "Isn't it amazing?!?!" Frankly? NO! I'm really not enjoying any of it, but it does give me satisfaction each time I finish my runs knowing that I've never been a runner, however I'm gettin' it done!

So yesterday I gave Sarah the official "yes" to joining the KC Dirty Duo! OMG! I think I'm crazy!!
Has anyone ever done a Dirty Duo or heard of them? What about a Warrior Dash?

So that's my big news, peeps! The race is the last weekend in June, which is just 3 weeks before my Mexico vacation, so it's something to aim for while getting more in shape for my bikini;) Plus, Sarah and I have so much fun together and I can't wait to sweat, get muddy and then have a congratulatory beer afterwards with her;)

What are your plans for Easter? Do you have any advice on hosting a large dinner party? What did you do for your first race? How did you train? Any advice?

Desserted Tip of the Day: Go meatless for one day a week. It saves on overall calories, money and your carbon footprint.

4 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to do a Warrior Dash forever!! I'm hoping to sign up for this summer - if not, I'll just live vicariously through you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY good for you! I bet you will have a lot of fun with Sarah, no doubt! I have never done either kind of race but sounds fun. I did the couch to 5K too and my first race was a 5K in Salina last spring. OH how I miss racing so much. Have a great Easter Holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!!! I think you'll feel better about "becoming a runner" once you slow your pace down a bit and remember it's an endurance event- not a "race"!!

    My "runner's high" comes after about mile 3-4 and will last till about mile 8... then it can be hit-or-miss after that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE running!!! And yes...once you hit "that" mark, you will know and it feels awesome!!! GOOD LUCK in the duo, it looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete