Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wanna little quiche with that broccoli?

Hey There!

Another great day in the Desserted Again life! I hope yours was great also!

First and foremost, and I want to say a big THANK YOU to the wonderful Danielle for mentioning me in her blog and putting me on her blogroll! This is a milestone in my blog because it's the first time someone (to my knowledge) put me on her blogroll without me asking or having previously known me first (which my real life friend Sarah at Silly Hille has done;). So you definitely made my day, Danielle! And her blog is super cute also and you should check her out at Minus the Pixels! I'll be adding you to my blogroll as well;)

But let's get to the goods, shall we!?!?!

Breakfast was my new obsession:


Cinnamon Burst Cheerios!!!! OMG! These are delish to the max!!! I never buy cereal (except Fiber One Original) because of the carbs and it doesn't really fill me up like my usual egg mugs, oatmeals or smoothies. But dang, folks, this stuff is GOOD (and I had a coupon)! And it has a big 1 cup serving size instead of 3/4 cup (I hate when cereals do that)! To beef it up, I added one cut up banana and 1/2 a cup of light vanilla soy milk. I was full until my 10 am snack! YEAH! I've been munching on this stuff all day-probably not good!


I also had another favorite of mine this morning I will share with you. I make this drink about once or twice a week when I want a little treat! It's a Toffee Mocha from Hungry Girl! Except, I use whatever sugar free syrup I have on hand instead of toffee (find at a grocery store in the coffee aisle or at a coffee shop). Right now I have chocolate syrup so it's extra chocolately! My kind of drink! This is only 1 point so it feels like a splurge, but really isn't!

For dinner, I tried a new recipe for a quiche. I didn't have enough of some ingredients and more of others so I threw something together and was not optimistic that would turn out. But how can you ruin a quiche? They are so versatile and even a novice cook can make it-I heart quiche!


It came out beautifully! (sorry for the blur pic!) It's definitely more broccoli than quiche, but luckily my husband and I love broccoli so we ate it ALL up!



Broccoli and Sausage Quiche
(adapted from Friends for Weightloss)

1 cup of egg beaters (I used all egg whites because that's what I had!)
4 servings (8 oz) of soy sausage, cooked and crumbled (feel free to use turkey sausage)
Dried garlic to your taste (I used Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic, yum!)
1 cup of milk (I used light vanilla soymilk and was worried about the sweetness, but we couldn't tell!)
2 (3 cups?) small heads of broccoli, chopped, and steamed for 3 minutes (I put it all in a bowl, added a little water, and nuked for 2 minutes-perfect!)
1 T. of hot sauce
1 jalapeno chopped into rings (I kept the seeds in mine. After baking they lose some of their hotness so they were perfect)
1/2 cup of shredded cheese (I used 1/4 cup of fat free and 1/4 regular cheddar to lower the calories but not the taste)

Layer sausage in the bottom of a square pan or pie dish. Then spread your broccoli on top. Sprinkle with garlic salt or flakes and salt and pepper.
In another bowl, whisk your milk, eggs and hot sauce. Pour over the sausage and broccoli. (This will look like a lot of broccoli and little egg mix. You can add a 1/2 cup of each egg and milk to beef this up). Sprinkle jalapenos slices on top and then the cheese. Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until tops of broccoli are golden brown and the middle isn't runny.

Serves 4, and with my recipe it was 4 PointsPlus (I ate 2 pieces:)



Oh, and I also have some guest in the sweaty pic of the day after my Zumba class!!!


Workout bud Vanessa (the sweatiest of the sweaty-and she's proud of it!), Cutie-pie Amy (who you can see in another pic here), workout queen Lynne (who is wearing a Bodybugg!) and faithful class attendee Becky! Way to sweat ladies!

And speaking of Bodybugg's......I BOUGHT ONE TODAY!!! OMG! I'm so excited for this thing! Really I'm excited for the KNOWLEDGE that it will bring me about my body, my workouts and my food intake! Knowledge is power peeps, and I want all the knowledge I can get!

If you are going to splurge on a drink for breakfast, what do you get? What is your favorite cereal? Have you tried the new Cinnamon Burst Cheerios?

Desserted Tip of the Day: There is no such thing as "spot fat-reducing." Your body loses weight where it wants to (my body hangs on dearly to belly fat!). I hear a lot of people say "I want to lose weight in my butt/legs/stomach" but everyone's body and metabolism are different and you will lose fat completely different than your friend who is the same size as you. Unfortunate......:( Just sweat to see results, and eventually it will get to the right spot!
Where does your body like to hang on to fat?

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... favorite cereal. I haven't had cereal in a while, but when I was young I LOVED Cracklin Oat Bran (one of the worst cereals for you!). But now I'm in love with oatmeal. Mmmmm :) The broccoli quiche looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete